Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cock Milking From Below

Spreadsheet, this unknown friend

- octopus-kun, octopus-kun! I was wondering: did you ways to make life easier when you have plenty of items to create?
- I understand, dear Churuya. I also ask myself tons of questions. For example, why he Hardfloor released many version Acperience? What will happen now that Kon Hirasawa died? How to find organic bulgur not in Paris? How to make a round trip to Guernsey to less than 100 €? Life is full of questions.
- Nyoriro ~ n!

On Wikipedia, if you want to edit all full articles, go through all of Python or Perl , but this is beyond the scope of this blog (and more, you become a bot and it's wrong). For simpler cases, there is an appropriate tool: the spreadsheet. The thing meets demand and is also very visual. Personally, I use Excel, but if your religious beliefs you require, you can choose the perfect Free ™ is just the same.

Here, several days ago, I found myself laying on the verbs in Greek Wiktionary. If you look ψεύδω , you will find that the structure of such a section is not complicated, and translates to 95% of a verb to another. At first we thought he just copy / paste and then you find that you always forget to change something. So I pulled my Excel few minutes later I had a little file that enabled me, by filling the cell in the upper left with the verb in Greek, get the text to be copied into the edit box the Wiktionary. To load then place the definition in hand, but the skeleton was already there.

Here the idea: if cell A1 contains "ψεύδω" and I try to have the text "{{polytonic "I just have the text in A2 generates" pseudo "(transliterated from the verb) and then the command" = "{{polytonic I copy the tables "Greek and Coptic " and "Greek Extended " in a text editor, I put a character-by-line and take off the useless stuff (long live regexp), I copy it all on Excel, I sort alphabetically, I add to the transcript and it's good side. After I use the same method to have the sort key and a url encoding for a dictionary online. In the end, I have to copy the word in cell A1 and get a backbone section complete without any error below.

Easy.

Ok, I admit, I have a little practice. But it a blow to take.

So, obviously, it is possible to do things differently. But what I like, with Excel is that it is visual, we do not need to code much and you can edit the content on the fly. It's good to know, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment