Monday, October 25, 2010

Make A Miniature Canoe

Singavi

Wikipedia has a list of countries by highest point . Despite its title, it is not limited to simple country but also includes various areas, particularly the various French possessions overseas. The advantage of such a list is of course limited, but can not have the seriousness and importance of a true subject of Fond Encyclopedic, and the anecdotal is not to banish our lives. However, it should be done properly.

Opposite the entrance Wallis and Futuna , the table shows: Mount Singavi, 765 m. Out of curiosity, I went to check on Geoportal ; Wallis and Futuna is a community of overseas French, IGN publishes online maps. Of these, the site is explicit: the culmination of the archipelago is on the island of Futuna and is the Mount Puke, by about 520 m. Not only is this not the same name, but 30% difference in altitude, it is not negligible. I still tend to trust IGN. Where does this mount Singavi?

The French list is a translation of its English equivalent , on which my Singavi has a dedicated section. A brief search allows you to trace the origin of the English list World Factbook of the CIA, a compilation of statistics on various countries around the world courtesy of American intelligence. Interesting, but still be taken lightly ... The question now: Where does she CIA Singavi this mountain? It exists on the kingdom of Futuna Sigave . Is this related? Mystery ... I do not know

what is the moral of this history, except that he must be wary of even the most official sources. I do not make me worry too much about the actual height of Mount Puke because I tend to trust IGN. However, it casts doubt on the remaining entries. And all for something as simple and familiar as the highlights of the country ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment